It was a cool and damp morning in Poznan as the Annual Conference of the Parties (COP14) got under way today. Frost tipped the grass and by the time I approached the conference centre, breathing felt almost like drinking.
The first day of these meetings is always is an interesting contrast of excitement and dullness, anticipation and resignation.
- Meeting dear climate change buddies - this work breeds close connections.
- Ten thousand delegates converging together to solve one of the Worlds' greatest threats
- The opening speeches are seldom stirring or inspiring, recycling established positions and offering platitudes
- The possibility that these talks could deliver some real outcomes such as a deal on Reducing Emissions from Deforestation and Degradation in developing countries (REDD) - a concrete activity for developing countries to help combat climate change while saving biodiversity and forest-dependent communities.
- To the slow pace of the talks and the low expecations expressed by the Parties to the Convention.